Photo credit: Graham Mattock, Mattock Imagery
'In biomechanics, balance is an ability to maintain the line of gravity of a body within the base of support with minimal postural sway. Maintaining balance requires coordination of input from multiple sensory systems including the vestibular, somatosensory, and visual systems.' Wikipedia
The benefits of balance training
- Improves proprioception (your sense of where your body is in space).
- Fine-tunes your body control.
- Improves coordination, through enhanced neuromuscular communication.
- Improves your technique and form.
- Builds strength in the feet, ankles, legs and hips.
- Increases core strength.
- Stabilises muscles and ligaments that surround the joints, making them more effective at absorbing impact.
- Increases agility and power output.
- Improves posture and alignment.
- Boosts focus, concentration and alertness.
- Reduces your risk of injury.
7 balancing poses
Here are 7 challenging balancing poses. Try to hold each of them for 5-10 breaths. You can practice them in the morning, during the day if you find that your attention is fragmented, as part of your workout or before bed as a meditation.
Click on the titles for full instructions and variations.
Let me know what your favourite balancing poses are in the comments below. And FOLLOW me on Instagram @yoga15abi for more free balance resources, vids and tutorials.